Skip to main content


"Seeing Through the Invisible" - research materials

  Seeing Through the Invisible: Radiation Spikes Detected in Chernobyl During the Russian Invasion Show Possible Evidence of Fabrication After many months of intense research, I'm finally releasing the paper that contains full technical details and collected evidence. I presented this research at BlackHat USA 2023  a few days ago. Kim Zetter published on Wired a fascinating story about this research. She also wrote a piece on her Substack that brings additional details. I really appreciate the interest this research has generated among different people, also outside the security world. Hopefully, some day we will eventually see an official investigation into these events, which is what everyone is asking for. Paper (PDF)   SHA256 c143a35f7f6c43a80b21883dabe2e96edc1a724ac1b8c1061c1e318abd0dda38 (Preview is not possible due to the size of the file)
Recent posts

Losing control over Schneider's EcoStruxure Control Expert

  During Q2 2022, in view of the geopolitical situation that unfolded after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I decided that it wouldn't do any harm to kill some bugs in some of the main players within the ICS arena. I focused in those software frameworks that are running on the engineering workstations so, if compromised, attackers would be in a privileged position to manipulate controllers logic, thus enabling sophisticated attacks with a potential physical impact (i.e triton). I responsibly reported a bunch a unauthenticated remotely exploitable bugs to the corresponding vendors. In one case, after being ignored for months, I had to resort to the 'twitter, do your magic' approach and tweeted that I would be disclosing the issues if the situation persisted. It took just few hours for the vendor to get back to me. The positive side is that they found the bugs interesting and all that mess ended up in paid work.   This blog post covers a similar scenario in a different vendo

Beware of Java's String.getBytes

Sometimes there are subtle bugs whose origin can be found in some quirks from the underlying language used to build the software. This blog post describes one of those cases in order to let both fellow security researchers and developers, who didn't know about it, become aware of this potential vulnerable pattern. In fact, I'm pretty sure that similar bugs to the one herein described likely affect a bunch of products/codebases out there. In previous posts , I've already described some bugs in the Swiss Post's future E-voting system. While reading their  Crypto-Primitives specification , which among other things describes the custom Hashing algorithm Swiss Post implemented, I noticed something potentially interesting. Basically, there are 4 different types that are supported: byte arrays, strings, integers and vectors. Before being hashed, strings are converted to a byte array via the ' StringToByteArray ' algorithm. However, by comparing ' StringToByteArray